What do you do when you're discouraged?  Some people crave a friend there to hold their hand.  And while there is a time and a place for that--I retreat.  I get lost in my own thoughts.  A natural born introvert--I like to be by myself.  It's spiritual for me.  It's energizing for me to get my thoughts down on paper, and simply talk to God.  I've done a lot of that today.  My Bible brought me once again to the book of Nehemiah.  

I've always loved the book of Nehemiah.  There's so much to be gleaned from this book.  Nehemiah was a man of perseverance, prayer, and vision.  Nehemiah's all about rebuilding.  Nehemiah can teach us so much because just like us, he faced days of discouragement.  Nehemiah was born into captivity--not exactly what he had planned for his life. 

Nehemiah had received some bad news.  His home city was in ruins.  The wall, the city gates, everything was destroyed--and worship had stopped.  Worse yet?  No one cared.  No one was doing anything about it.  God placed a desire, a vision on Nehemiah's heart to step up and do something.  

Nehemiah faced opposition. 

For various (mostly political reasons) some individuals just wanted Jerusalem to stay the way it was.  Opposition almost always arises when God's people set out to do His work.  

Nehemiah did not give up.  He prayed, he fasted, and he planned.  

Nehemiah lived during the reign of the Persian King Artaxerxes.  He did have direct access to the King and Queen, but he was still a servant.  He was a cupbearer.  He was faithful to his work.  But deep down, he had a passion, a desire for his Jewish people.  

Jerusalem had lain in ruins for 150 years.  The people were paralyzed with fear.  

Nehemiah prayed for four months.  The king noticed his sadness and granted him a leave of absence from his duties, and supplied him what he needed to make repairs to his homeland.  Finding favor with the King, he knew his mission was clear.  

Nehemiah is inspiring to me.  His cup of life was filled with bitterness--yet he was willing to drink deeply of the life given to him and pour it out as a sacrifice to others.  

What is your cup filled with?  If you're like me, your reaction to life is ever changing.  Sometimes when I sip from the cup of life I taste pure sweet nectar.  Other times, it's bitter and hard to swallow.  It's not what I planned and all I know to do is cry.

Nehemiah cried a lot--see, it's biblical!  Tears release toxins.  They release junk.  Sometimes you just need a good cry.  He cried because this was not how it was suppose to be.  He cried for his people. He cried for his family.  He was vulnerable, and final able to be used by God.  

I don't know what cup of life has been handed to you--but I promise you this--whatever it is God can use it for His glory.  Drink deeply friends of the life you've been given, because even when it's in ruins--God can rebuild it. 



Comments

Popular Posts