Trade these Ashes in for Beauty

"....and provide for those who grieve in Zion-- to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the LORD for the display of his splendor."
Isaiah 61:3 

If I think about it long enough, I can almost see her smile, I can almost hear her laugh, almost feel her near.  Almost. 


Oh how she loved to laugh, and make other people laugh.  But one day that all faded away.  


My mother passed away 16 years ago.  I am now twice the age I was when I lost her.  But a part of me does not feel older at all, because a part of me died with her that day.  Somehow stuck in that moment...that defining moment, trying to find the purpose behind the pain. 


Before long emotions I didn't even know the full meaning of began to creep in.  Bitterness, anger, jealousy, resentment, fear and anxiety.  And sadness.  Deep sadness and a strong realization that life is not fair.


When you are in this place of ashes, you want no words.  But all people want to do is talk to make you feel better.  It doesn't help.  There are no words.  Less is more.  And don't you dare quote scripture at me when I'm hurting.  But that's what people want to do.  They say things like "she's in a better place now" and "she's no longer suffering"--don't say that to people.  Just don't.  


Think of Jesus at the death of his friend Lazarus. It is not recorded that He preached to Mary and Martha. No, it's recorded that he wept. He shared their pain--and then He used it to showcase His grace and His Fathers glory.


Silence is ok.  It's in those moments of silence that God hears our hearts cry out to Him.  


Let me share something so beautiful with you.  After grieving the loss of my mother for quite sometime--Scripture that she had tucked away in my heart began to surface.  Verses in Hebrews and Matthew, verses in Psalms that brought comfort and direction.  Verses that God knew I would need one day.  Verses that help me get through.  


Now I know what you're thinking--that it works for me, but can't for you.  Maybe you've tried to read your Bible, you sat in the pew that one time--and it didn't work for you.  You didn't find any relief.  


Did you find religion or did you find God? 

Did you find church or did you find Christ?  
Because there's a big difference.  Religion and church (in the secular term tossed around today) can make you more weary.  It's not a reflection of what Christ says in Matthew 11:28-30.  It can lead you down a path of good works and self righteousness if you're not careful.  

It's pretty easy to end up in the wrong place--even with the best of intentions.  Even with noble works.  But Jesus says "Come to me."


Why?


Because Jesus traded in His life so that you and I could receive ours. To Him, you and I were the prize – the treasure. But that’s not all. He’s made it possible for me to do a little bit of trading as well. I’ve traded in my pain for purpose, my hurt for hope, my mess for my message, my worry for trust, my soul sickness for spiritual health, my shame for forgiveness, my captivity for freedom, and the list goes on. You can trade in your ashes for beauty. 


What do you need to trade in?  We all have loss.  We all have sorrow and pain.


I took my pain to Jesus a long time ago.  I couldn't carry it anymore and I couldn't find anybody else strong enough to either.  He has promised to take it and turn it into something beautiful for His glory.


I choose beauty. 

I choose life. 

My prayer is that you will to0.



Comments

Popular Posts