Everything You Do

"Whatever you do, do it enthusiastically, as something done for the Lord and not for men."  Colossians 3:23 

If there was ever a verse that my husband preaches to this home--it's this one.  When I'm complaining, or hurt, or frustrated, or confused, or feeling unappreciated by the outside world--B.J. smiles, paraphrases this verse and kisses my forehead.  Now I will be honest--there are days when he does that--that I want to smack him; but most of the time, it quiets my heart.  It brings me back into focus.  It makes me realize that I'm more concerned about my feelings then I am the glory of my Lord.  It makes me realize my place.  I'm blessed to have a husband like that.  One that will not say the things I want to hear--but need to hear.  It's not always easy and sometimes I become cold and ignore him for awhile.  But he is more concerned about my holiness than my happiness.  He knows that real joy comes from abundant living in Christ.  I'm a lucky girl.  

Steven Curtis Chapman put it to song for me! 


Everything we do counts.  Ouch.  

We've been studying abundant living and a balanced spiritual life in Sunday School this month.  Last week's lesson was on serving.  Serving from your strengths--using your spiritual gifts.  

Serving from a biblical perspective is not optional.  As believers, we have all been given gifts for the purpose of glorifying God and perfecting His people.  

I had my class do an experiment.  They were to write their names using the hand they normally write with on one side, and then flip their card over and use the opposite hand.  This is how mine turned out: 

This is my right hand, the one I normally write with obviously...... and 




this is my left hand....oh boy. 




My right hand felt more comfortable.  I wrote it with ease, could have done it with my eyes closed...no trouble at all.  My left had felt very uncomfortable, I didn't even know how to hold the pen.  It was awkward, and a bit frustrating, why?  Because it's not my strong hand.  It's not my strength.  Now let me pause here and say that I do believe evangelism is something that we are all called to take part in.  It may not come naturally, for some of us it may always feel like we are holding the pen in the wrong hand--but as disciples we are to spread the gospel.  But what about other areas of serving? 

Serving from our strengths means figuring out what those strengths are.  How?  Reading the Bible, & prayer...both amazing places to start.  But I think God also gives us a desire to use our gifts.  Those things that we LOVE doing, that we almost can't stop thinking about.  Those things that other people say, "you're really good at that..." and we can't help but agree.  Those things that bring us joy, that flow from us with ease, that come naturally almost like breathing.  There's not a specific Scripture that says you are good at.....so you should do this..... so sometimes we just have to try things, and maybe make a mess out of it--like my second picture.  Oh, it's ok.  And it will definitely work--but it's not my best.  And I want to give God my very best.  

One of the many things that I love about God, is that He always gives us what He requires of us.  He tells us to love others/He has first loved us.  He tells us to forgive others/He has forgiven a multitude of sins in each of our lives.  He tells us not to judge or condemn each other, unless it is scriptural based/He does not bring up our old sins, but corrects us lovingly with His Word. 

He tells us to praise Him/He gives us the gift to do it with!  "In every little thing we do!"  

Amazing.  He Provides Everything!  

 "For by the grace given to me, I tell everyone among you not to think of himself more highly than he should think. Instead, think sensibly, as God has distributed a measure of faith to each one. Now as we have many parts in one body, and all the parts do not have the same function, in the same way we who are many are one body in Christ and individually members of one another."Romans 12:3-5

We've all been given a gift.  Don't think too highly of yourself--that's pride.  Don't think too lowly of yourself--that's pride too.  Either one of those assumptions of yourself makes it about you--and it is to be all about Him.  

So many think of serving in the church as a burden, or even as an option.  But what if service was seen in a different light--as an opportunity, a joy, a blessing?  God has gifted us all differently, and serving the church is an outlet for us to use those gifts.  

Did you try serving once, and found it to be a burden?  Well, it quite possibly could have been your attitude.  But, maybe you weren't using your gift.  Maybe you were using someone else's.  

This happened to me one time.  I love children to pieces, I do.  So, naturally people would ask me to work in the nursery.  Sounds like a good idea right? --NO.  Everything was sticky, and slobbery, and I missed the sermon, I didn't even feel like I went to church.  I tried this for years, trying to convince myself that as a mother I should find great joy in caring for other's children while they worship.  NO.  I couldn't do it.  I tried.  And I can still fill in if need be--but it wasn't my gift.  There are people in our church that were made to serve in the nursery.  They love it!  They sing songs, and have so much patience.  They play house, and horsey, and are perfect for the job--it's their strength, their gift, their passion.  It's so much fun to watch someone serving in their element.  

We're not all going to be good at everything.  We can't fill every role, we were not designed to. But, once we find our passion, our area of service, think of what we can accomplish for the glory of God!  Don't assume things aren't for you.  Say yes more than no.  Pray for a willing spirit.  Ask God to reveal your spiritual gifts, and do everything you do for the glory of the one who made you. 







Comments

Popular Posts