The Word

I am a member of a Bible teaching church.  (Can I get an Amen?)  There is no doubt that every single week The Word of God will be opened and expounded upon.  I can honestly say that every week, I learn something.  I go to church, expecting to learn something.  And I do.  I love to hear people speak from the Word of God, I love to listen to those who know more than me, and have studied way longer than me explain things--it fuels me.  


There's only one problem.  


I don't go to church everyday.  And, I need the Word of God--everyday.  Oh I have some of my favorite radio preachers to fill in the gaps, I can listen to sermons online, I can watch them on youtube---but, if I'm not careful, then I'm relying on someone else to dig those truths out for me.  And as a follower of Christ, as one who wants to be a better disciple--that's a responsibility I can't take lightly.  And I certainly can't impose that responsibility on my Pastor alone.  Our Pastor Olen Evans--oh sorry, Dr. Olen Evans--encourages us to read the Word on our own, to STUDY the Word, taking it slow, reading a passage over and over and over again--not expecting to unlock truths in 10 mins. of devotional reading, but realizing that it takes time to learn from God's Word.  


So...how do you study the Bible?  How do you open this somewhat intimidating book, and get something out of it that actually applies to your life?  


Well, let me first encourage you.  This book, this Holy Word of God is the only book that you will ever read--where the author is present with you.  I envision God being excited when we pick up His Word, peering over our shoulder, overjoyed when something "clicks."  He is in our presence, so you're not just reading---you're having a conversation with Almighty God!  Hello?  I mean come on, that's pretty amazing!


Our Sunday School Class started participating in Secret Church last year.  (For an explanation of what Secret Church is...watch the video below)  



These are 6 hour Bible Studies (yes, 6 Hours) and they have been very beneficial for us.  We usually start around 6, and wrap up around midnight, (although there was that one time when we did not get done till about 2:00 a.m.)  

This month we participated in a study called "How to Study the Bible."  Nearly my entire Sunday School Class made the goal of studying the Bible more this year, & I wanted to encourage that.  I don't want this to just be a goal--I want this to be a reality--and it can be.  We can know how to study the Bible.  

I just want to share with you some of the things that our Pastor has taught us, as well as, things we learned from this particular Secret Church.  

We can't just keep passing Bibles out, assuming people know what to do with them.  We have to know how to study them. With that said, here's some notes from what we learned: 

------------------------------------------------------------------------


The Bible is a treasure.  People died so that we could hold it in our hands.  These truths were worth people giving their lives for it.  That's huge.  

All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.  2 Timothy 3:16-17  

All Scripture is useful, and is essential for spiritual effectiveness.  All of it--not just the pretty verses you learned at VBS and got candy for, all of it.  We become useful in God's hands with the Word of God.  It is inspired, and it is all we need.  

1 Corinthians 2:12-13--anyone can study the Bible, but only those with the Spirit can understand it. If you are a child of God, you now have the Spirit of God residing in you. The Spirit illuminates the Word, The Spirit instructs us in the Word.  The Spirit guides us in the Word--studying the Bible is a journey, and it takes discipline.  The Bible does not yield its fruit to the lazy.  

Studying will take time.  Don't read the Bible too emotionally, looking for what "feels" good or looking for the deeper inner meaning.  The verse can't mean something it never meant.  

Ask questions when you read the Bible--with these steps:  

OBSERVE:  What do I see?  What's going on in the culture at this time?  Who wrote this?  Who originally read this?  What's happening in history at this time?  Where is the author when he is writing this?  When was it written?  Read the text over and over and over again.  Listen patiently.  Don't just jump to applying the text to your life, before you really even know what it means.  

The purpose of reading the Bible is to grow in the image of Christ.  So learn to look intently, and ask questions.  

Look at the verbs, are they past, present or future? Look at the space.  How much time does he spend talking about a specific topic, does he repeat things?  Does the author give a clear purpose statement for writing the book?  Example: John 20:31

Look at the words for, but, because, therefore---what do they connect?  Look for comparisons and contrasts within the Word.  Look for the emotions and tones of the passage.  Put yourself in the author's shoes.  

INTERPRET:  Context.  What is the context?  Context shapes meaning.  What is our context?  What do we bring to the table?  What preconceived notions or pride do we have?  

What is the original readers context?  Never forget that Scripture was God's Word to other people as well.  We have to take into consideration the history of that day.  Get to know the author, get to know the audience, get to know the social, economical, and political conditions of that day.  

IMPLICATION:  How does it relate?  What are the timeless truths of the passage? 

APPLICATION:  This is the last step.  So often we come to the Word of God, expecting to start with application.  We want to apply the verse, before we even know if it actually applies, or what it really means.  

Interpretation--getting into the Word. 
Application--the Word getting into us.  

What does this mean to my life?  
Meditate on it. 
Relate it to today. 
Look for the parallels. 
Obey the timeless truth it reveals. 

Then, once you know what the text means, ask yourself these questions:  Based on this scripture, who should I be?  How should I think?  What should I do?  Where should I go?  Who will I teach?  

Understand the genre of what you're reading.  You will not study Paul's letters the same way you will study Song of Solomon.  They are written differently.  

Be patient.  Approach the Word prayerfully, and humbly.  It will take time--but it is worth it.  


------------------------------------------------------------------------


If you can follow my notes at all, this may have helped.  Can you imagine the impact we could have if we all started studying the Word of God-- If the Bible became more than just a good story book?  

If possible, invest in resources that will help you understand the Word of God.  We have no excuse if we live in America, there are thousands of resources at our fingertips.  "I don't understand the Bible" is not going to be a valid excuse on judgment day if you live in this great nation. 



If we actually studied......
What would our families look like?  How would our marriages thrive?  Would we serve differently?  Would we have less, and give more?  Would we finally stop mis-quoting scriptures like Philippians 4:13?  (this is a verse about contentment, not about being able to accomplish anything..check the context)--and Matthew 28:19--(where the main objective is not "go" but "make disciples"--the text translates "as you are going" make disciples....make me a better disciple, and the "go" part will take care of itself.)

People died, so that the Word of God could sit on your coffee table.  People are still dying today for reading the Word. Check out this video to see how excited some are to just receive the Word.   


Have we gotten too comfortable in our devotionals, and forsaken real Bible study--real authentic Bible study, that takes time, patience, and sacrifice.  Real Bible study, that is 100% worth it.  





Comments

Popular Posts