Behind the Smile



14 For by a single offering he has perfected for all time those who are being sanctified.
Hebrews 10:14 


If someone loves you at 5:00 in the morning--they love you.  I know this from experience.  At 5:00 in the morning, my husband loves me.  He doesn't love my style, or my hair, or my breath, or the fact that I've hit snooze three times--He loves me.  The snooze button has really gotten me into trouble.  I don't know who invented that but they really shouldn't have.  It will inevitably get hit on my side of the bed.  And amazingly I become some sort of mathematician in the early mornings, calculating just how many times I can hit the snooze button before I will be late for work.  It's really quite ridiculous. 

Regardless of my morning mishaps--this is the most honest I am all day.  This morning person is me.  Just me.  No makeup, no clothes arranged to hide my flaws, just me--dragging myself to the bathroom to start another day.  Without the makeup my eyes show just how very tired I am.  Without my concealer...lines of worry and fear are more prominent.  The dark circles under my eyes that I got from my mom?--yeah, they're there too.  Not too many people see me this way, and those that do almost always ask me if I'm feeling alright.  At this hour, all of my flaws are exposed--my physical flaws anyway.  

Give me an hour or so, and I'll turn into the girl who looks like she's got it all together.  You won't see my scars, my blemishes, or my dark circles.  You won't see the pain because I won't allow you to.  

But regardless of how I look to you--God loves me just the same.  He knows the heart of the person that wakes up in the early morning, is the same person that has her Mary Kay face on by 7:00 a.m., and once she gets behind her first cup of coffee can offer you a smile.  He knows where I need perfecting and healing.  He does not criticize how I deal with the troubles that have been cast my way, but simply nudges and leads.....so patiently.  That pain I won't let you see?  He knows all about it, and He's using it to change me, and bring glory unto Himself.  

I don't know what your struggles are.  I don't know what imperfections you try to cover up. But there is a love so sweet found in Christ.  You see, my honesty to Him is beautiful.  

Sometimes troubles hit that you can't cover up.  Not only can YOU not cover them up, but OTHERS feel the need to bring them up.  Busy covering up and concealing their own flaws, they turn to expose yours.  Why?  

S-I-N 

We really shouldn't be surprised by their behavior should we?  It's not like it's new.  Our Lord dealt with people just like this.  Another amazing way that He is our Example, and He understands everything that we go through.  Even coffee shop gossip. 

That three letter word really gets us into trouble doesn't it?  That word has the power to divide families, ruin friendships, bring disunity among God's people, and the most dangerous of all?--ruin fellowship with your Heavenly Father.  

The Scripture says "being sanctified"--present tense.  Being made Holy.  That means we're not there yet.  Far from it.  

When troubles come that knock the air right out of you where do you turn?  Your friends that are just as sinful as you?  How about Jesus?  He is Perfect, He is Holy, and He is always available.  

I can smile today because I am "being made Holy."  When God looks at me He sees Christ.  My identity is not found in my mistakes, others opinions of me or my last name, my identity is found in Christ.  And that my friends is all that matters. 

Do you know Jesus?  

I'm not asking if you go to church. 
I'm not asking if you've accepted some facts about God in your head. 
I'm not asking if you've been baptized. 
I'm not asking if you're a good person/or at least not as bad as others. 
I'm not asking if you are generous. 

Do you know Jesus?  
Do you know Him? 

He has the ability to make all things new--even you.  Allow Him to.  You will never regret it.  Every stumble and pothole along the way will only make you more like Him.  







  









Comments

Popular Posts