Come Let Us Adore Him


The question that we've all been asked about a thousand times in the last couple of weeks--"Are you ready for Christmas?" Of course all this question really means is--Have you bought all of your gifts?
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Several years ago my husband and I decided to stop buying gifts for each other.  I would love to tell you that it was for spiritual reasons, but it was really because we were broke.  And I will admit-- that first year it was hard.  "Gifts" are my love language.  So, it was strange at first. But, it became a habit that we have adopted and have grown from. 

Then we had Matthew.  Parenting opens your eyes to so many things doesn't it?  So many questions. So many opinions.  

A few years ago when we were tucking Matthew in on Christmas Eve he was telling us how excited he was about all of the presents he was going to get.  Not wanting to ruin his excitement, but still bring him back into focus a little bit--I said "I know honey, I know you're excited, and we are going to have tons of fun tomorrow-- but just remember, it's not about the presents." He shrugged his shoulders and said "I know, it's Jesus' birthday."

I walked out of his room into our living room, and looked at our Christmas tree.  Underneath...presents were everywhere, all for Matthew.  I had just said "it's not about the presents" but clearly it was.  I thought I was doing good because I stayed within budget.  I thought I was doing good because I had made a plan, and X amount of dollars were going to be spent on my little boy.  The problem was...after I got him a few things that he really wanted to have (that I could afford), and after I mixed in a few things he needed, there was money left.   Not a lot.  But instead of stopping--I found myself looking for things to fill my quota, to reach my limit.  Throwing things in the cart just to make sure I spent X amount.  

It made me sick to my stomach.  I tried to remember what I bought him last year....no idea.  Would he remember?  Probably not.  

Something had to change.

Now, don't worry I didn't take all of his presents back that night--although I did think about it. 

No, instead we talked.  We talked about Jesus, and how He gave sacrificially for us.  About how Christmas is not just a celebration of His birth--but a celebration of His life, and the perfect life that He lived.  

We told Matthew that from here on out, Christmas was going to be celebrated differently in our home.  His response?  "Ah, great!"  

4 gifts (one from Santa) that's it.  The money we would've have spent (to reach the quota) we give away.  

His response?--"Ok."  

I about fell over.  I couldn't believe he was not only ok with this, but he wanted to know if he could help decide where some of the money could be donated.  By the grace of God I had not completely ruined my child yet!  He chose to buy 4 pairs of pajamas for kids through Heart for Africa.  That was the best Christmas present he could have given me.  

Please hear me.  I am not trying to make anyone feel bad about their gift giving traditions.  I am not saying that our family does things in a better way than you do.  I am just simply saying that if you have lost focus--it's not too late to turn it around.  Come let us adore Him.  There are real needs that can be met if we take the attention off of ourselves.  



There are so many gifts that we can give, that cost so very little or nothing at all.  

-homemade gifts 
-the gift of time 
-the gift of prayer 
-the gift of encouragement
-pass on a family heirloom 

This world would like us to believe that the success of our Christmas depends on how much we spend or if we got the newest gadget.  Christmas is about giving yes--but giving is dependent on the condition of our hearts. 

I think the gift of encouragement is one that is often overlooked.  We assume the people in our lives know how much they mean to us---they rarely do.  I have a box in my dresser filled with letters, notes, and cards from my husband.    His words of handwritten encouragement have gotten me through many different seasons in life.  Some make me laugh, some make me cry.  I read them over and over again--means way more to me than some gift that won't last and they will have invented something better next year anyway. 

One year we had a young couple in our youth group tell us they wanted to get us something, but couldn't afford anything--so they offered to watch Matthew for us one night for free so we could go out.  

These are gifts you don't forget--gifts that leave an impression.  You don't have to have money to bless someone's life.  Tell someone that you will pray for them--and then actually do it!  

And please don't tell your children you can't afford things.  You know I was poor growing up, and I never knew it.  My mom didn't tell me every time I asked for something that she couldn't afford it, (that was true).  When I wanted a birthday cake made from the store one year, she said (in an overly excited tone) how about we make it instead it will be so much fun!  And we did.  I didn't know until years later that she didn't have the money to buy it.  It didn't matter to me, because I still remember laughing about how much that cake DIDN'T look like the one from the store!......it tasted pretty good though. :) 

Come let us adore Him.  I don't want to be like the religious people who missed His coming.  I want to be like the wise men who went searching for Him, asking questions...and once they found Him, worshipped Him. 

Are you ready for Christmas?  

Comments

Popular Posts