Empty Me


We sing this song at church every now and then.  And EVERY time we sing it I think, what would happen if everyone singing it, actually meant it?  What would happen if I truly meant it myself?  Empty me God.....we don't like saying things like that, because we are afraid He just might do it, and what would that look like?  If God emptied me of everything in my life that I counted as more important than Him...what would be left?  

Honestly?  A useful vessel. 

A vessel that could be used to display God's strength and power, and would overflow with praise and adoration of a Savior worthy of so much more than I could ever offer. 

I've only begun to realize that for the past several years, God has been unwrapping the layers of lies wrapped around my heart.  Lies that feed excuses.  Excuses that breed sin.  And sin that breaks my communion with my Holy Father.  He's patient with me, and kind, and loving in the best sort of way.  He disciplines me to make me a better disciple. He's my Father, and He wants what's best for me, and He knows that means more of Him, and less of me. 

I need His strength.  How do I find it?  How do I get it?  Everyone always tells you to lean on the Lord, and He will strengthen you, How?  

Well, prayer is certainly a good idea.  Bible Study is a must.  But, how do you stay motivated, how do you keep going when life hits you in the face? 

The best answer I can come up with at this point in my life is.....get rid of pride.  Crucify it in your life. 

Pride is the ultimate rebellion against God--it is at the root of every sin.  Satan committed the sin of pride before he was thrown out of heaven.  Pride was humanity's first sin in the Garden of Eden.  Anytime we put ourselves in God's place, we commit pride.  

In order for God to strengthen me, I have to come to Him in prayer, and in Bible Study humbly--seeing myself for who I really am, and being disgusted by it.  (Not in an unhealthy sort of way, but knowing my place in recognition of who God is, and being in reverent fear of Him)

There is motivation in brokenness and a proper perspective of who God is, and who I am not.  

"My assumption is that you have paid careful attention to Him, been well instructed in the truth precisely as we have it in Jesus. Since, then, we do not have the excuse of ignorance, everything - and I do mean everything - connected with that old way of life has to go. It's rotten through and through. Get rid of it! And then take on an entirely new way of life - a God-fashioned life, a life renewed from the inside and working itself into your conduct as God accurately reproduces His character in you."Ephesians 4:21-24 The Message 

..........We do not have the excuse of ignorance, or like my mom always used to say:  You know better!  Everything connected with the old way of life has to go.  (Empty me) and then take on an entirely new way of life, a God-fashioned life, a life renewed from the inside (fill me) and working itself into your conduct, as God accurately reproduces His character in you.  

We can be used by the Creator of all things!  He can fill us and use us, and produce His character in us! 

God help us to have an insatiable desire to be filled by You.






Comments

Popular Posts