Rest







A month or so ago Matthew heard me talking about taking a day off, which prompted his question, "Mom why don't you ever take a day off to just be with me?"  Ouch.  


I could have argued with him.  I could have brought up all of the family nights we have shared.  All of the happy meals that have been purchased over the years.  All of the evenings on the couch watching Sponge Bob.  How incredibly blessed this child is compared to one third of the rest of the world...but it was not the time.  Because regardless of whether or not I thought he should feel this way...he did.  


So.....today, I surprised him and took a day off.  :)  


The whole day was about him.  French toast for breakfast--his favorite.  At 10:00 in the morning we found ourselves in line to watch the newest Ice Age Movie.  After the movie, he wanted Little Caeser's Pizza.  I didn't try to talk him into the Culvers that I had my mind set on--I just said sure.  We took it to the park and played when we were done eating.  I didn't watch him play--WE played, and we had a blast.  


I loved seeing his eyes light up this morning.  I loved watching him laugh and smile.  


Makes me think of a Scripture that I recently read.... 


"If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask Him!"  Matthew 7:11 


It blessed my heart to give to Matthew today.  It was good not only for him--but for me.  If I love him that much, how much more must God love us?


So many times in life I've felt alone.  Like God didn't have time for me, I wondered how He could possibly love me......ever been there?


So many times I've wondered if God was there.  Looking back in those moments, I wonder if God was so excited about what He had planned.  As I worried and stewed about things, He waited patiently for just the right moment to reveal His provision, His love, His forgiveness--He waited to reveal His plan.  


He could throw all of the blessings I have in my face.  He could lose His patience and tell me to look around at all that I've been given and to get over it.  But in all of His grace and mercy He loves me, and He is patient with me as I become who He desires me to be.  


I grow weary.  I grow tired.  


But He says:  


"Come to Me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."  Matthew 11:28-30 


He says follow me.  Learn from me.  Serve how I serve.  Love how I love.  Leave the religiosity of the world behind, and walk with me.  


This is how the Message translates those verses: 


 "Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me - watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you.  Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."


He was speaking to those that had been oppressed by the religious leaders of their day.  Religious legalism  was imposed on the people by the scribes and Pharisees.  The people were tired.  They couldn't do it.  The Pharisees' interpretation of the law, with its extensive list of rules had become a crushing burden.  They couldn't keep living that way.


In contrast--Jesus' yoke of discipleship brings rest through simple and wholehearted commitment to Him. He not only tells us what to do, He shows us what to do by His example.  


He invites us to follow Him.  


Do you realize how amazing that is?  The God of the Universe came to this earth in the flesh to live the perfect life that we could not live--so that He could be the perfect sacrifice that we needed.  He was crucified, and buried--and then God raised Him from the dead to prove that the payment for sin was received.  It was satisfied.  It is done.  And that's not even the end of the story--He gave us the comfort of the Holy Spirit, (God residing in us) so that we don't have to do this alone.  


He wants to teach us.  He wants us to know Him, and enjoy Him.  But that means we have to spend time with Him.  


I'm quite certain as I plan my days off, and my calendar fills up--God is wondering when there is going to be a day devoted to Him.  Just me and Him.  A day to get lost in His Word.  A day to praise Him.  A day to stand in awe of His glory.  


You know He even provided a day in the week for that.  


Worshipping in a local church is one of the most important things you can do.  It feeds your soul.  It's good for you--but it doesn't end there.  You wouldn't eat one meal a week would you?  Then why in the world would you starve yourself spiritually?  You need the bread of life DAILY.  Daily get lost in His word.  Daily praise Him.  Daily stand in awe of His glory--and just you wait and see if your burdens don't feel lighter.  


When Matthew and I got home I told him I loved him.  And then I told Him that as much as I love him-- God loves Him so much more.  And I cannot wait to see what God has planned for Him.  


If your shoulders can't bear the weight of this world any longer--follow hard after the One who created it, and you will find rest.  

Comments

Popular Posts