The Path of Servanthood

"When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne.  Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats.  And he will place the sheep on his right, but the goats on the left.  Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, youwho are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world.  For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me,  I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.'  Then the righteous will answer him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink?  And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you?  And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?'  And the King will answer them, 'Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.'  "Then he will say to those on his left,'Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.  For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink,  I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.'  Then they also will answer, saying, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to you?'  Then he will answer them, saying, 'Truly, I say to you, as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.'  And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."  
Matthew 25:31-46 

Jesus used the familiar image of a shepherd's separating sheep from goats at the day's end to indicate His affirmation of His true followers and His judgment of people who were never related to Him redemptively.  The sheep will be gathered to the King's right (the place of honor, power and trust) the goats will be gathered to His left (the place of disgrace). 

Jesus listed six ministry actions His followers performed.  

I was....

Hungry--you gave me something to eat 
Thirsty--you gave me something to drink 
A stranger--you took me in 
Naked--you clothed me 
Sick--you took care of me 
In prison--you visited me 

These followers had met people's basic needs, and in doing so they were ministering.  Real tangible needs.  They saw a need that needed met, and they met it.  There was no need to pray about it, form a committee, or talk about it until the lost world finally steps in and takes care of it themselves--they (the followers of Christ) took care of it.  These compassionate acts did not save them.  Works save no one.  You can't possibly be good enough to earn God's grace.  These acts, these good works were evidence of their salvation.  

Keep in mind in Jesus' day people were all too familiar with hunger and thirst.  Sharing something to eat and something to drink with people who had no assurance of a next meal was a big deal.  Foreigners were not treated well. but Jesus' true followers extended hospitality to strangers and welcomed them into their homes.  When believers encountered people with only a tunic (the inner garment) they put an outer garment around them.  Jesus' followers went to sick people with the intent of extending care for them.  They provided companionship for those in prison.  They moved, they went.  

These are simple things.  But they are significant things.  They are things that we can do that are not costly or too demanding....we just choose not to do them.  

Our motivation for ministry hasn't changed--it's to serve Christ by serving others.  We are to be spiritual contributors not spiritual consumers.  Consistently ministering to others is evidence that we view every life as important to God; every person important to us.  

These people helped people who could offer them nothing in return.  They did it out of compassion.  It was so natural for them, that in verse 37 they were actually surprised that they had served Jesus in doing so! 

In deep contrast--the goats of this story missed the opportunities.  They failed to minister.  

We will be held accountable for whom we serve, and how we serve them. 

But oh how the excuses come--but, it's uncomfortable, it's dangerous, I don't have any money, it's inconvenient, someone else will surely take care of it, I don't have time, it's not my thing, I can't make a difference, I'm one person........amazing the excuses we can come up with for not helping people in need. 

Jesus didn't have a lot of patience for people who ignored the least of these.  

What needs have you noticed around you? 

Our excuse cannot be that we don't know what to do.  The needs are simply too numerous to claim ignorance.  

When God opens our eyes to suffering and needs around us, we're safe to assume He wants us to do something about it.  There's no need to wait for someone more qualified or talented.  When He opens the door He also equips.  

I don't know how God tugs your heart.  But I truly believe that if we as believers started listening to that passion that He has placed within us--we could change this world.  

Comments

Popular Posts