Discontentment

I have taught a young adult Sunday School Class at our church now for about six years.  If you have ever been a Sunday School teacher you probably know that you learn more than your students ever do by all of the studying you do.  Today was no exception.  I was challenged by this weeks Scripture.  Incase you're wondering it was:  1 Timothy 6:6-12 and Philippians 4:10-20.

We talked about contentment and finding contentment in any and all of our circumstances.  Another word for contentment is satisfied.  Being satisfied.  Hmm.  What's that like?

I've discovered, (and asked for forgiveness for the fact) that I don't pray for contentment.  I pray for my circumstances to be changed, I pray for open doors, I may even pray for my attitude--certainly for others attitudes--but I don't pray that God would help me to be content in any and all of my circumstances.

Paul, who was once a reputable scholar trained in Jerusalem enjoyed all the comforts Roman life could offer.  And then Christ got a hold of him, and he became a fool in the eyes of the world.  He was beaten, arrested, stripped, and starved, and he learned to become content in both sets of circumstances.

Contentment takes effort.  It's not a gift some people have and some people don't.  It takes discipline.

Ouch.  I've began to pray to be content.  My life could be defined as an emotional roller coaster.  That's not godliness.  If I'm ok when things are going great, and my faith can waver so drastically when things go a little south, what kind of example am I?  How am I different than the world?

Now, I'm not saying all emotions are uncalled for.  We're not robots.

Contentment isn't denying unhappiness--it's embracing freedom from being controlled by that feeling.

Contentment isn't pretending things are OK when they are not--it's exhibiting the peace that comes from knowing that God is bigger than your problems and fully capable of handling them.

Contentment isn't the ability to control your circumstances--it's the ability to be joyful despite your circumstances.

Contentment isn't focusing on the chaos of your life and our world--it's focusing on a God who never changes or wavers.

Philippians 4:13 is quoted A LOT.  "I am able to do all things through Him who strengthens me." Now, it is true that Christ gives us the power to accomplish great things.  But, look at the context of the verse.  This verse is not about accomplishing great things at all.  The context is contentment in all circumstances, whether those circumstances are great or not.  This verse is crucial for living a life of contentment.  It reveals a secret.  Contentment in Christ gives us the strength we need to endure.

My eyes were opened by this truth, because when I am discontent, I don't trust God.

I'm learning as I go, but one thing I know for certain--God never changes.  He is in control just as much when things are great as He is when things are not.  That's a truth I want to hold tightly too, and then maybe I will realize that godliness with contentment is great gain.

Comments

  1. You are so right that it is easy or easier to be content when things are running smooth. I struggle with that contentment when things are not going my way. I had a medical scare a while back and while I prayed that I would be okay, I tried to pray that I would be okay no matter what because God was in control. The problem was that I wouldn't let him give me that contentment. I was too busy letting terror and fear and anxiety take me over that there wasn't any room for contentment. Thank you for reminding me to continue to strive and pray for this.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts