Made to Crave


I got my book today!  I am excited, and terrified to start diving into what it has to say.  However, this is something I need to do.  


This is a spiritual battle for me.  I am going to be honest through these posts.  I would be lying if I said this had nothing to do with how I look or how much I weigh.  I would like to lose some of the pounds that I have packed back on (again) I would like my skinny pants to fit again, if I don't make changes my fat pants won't fit much longer either and I can't afford to buy new clothes!


Now I realize that many of you will say, you're not fat!  You don't need to lose weight.  But this is way more than vanity to me.  This is about making better choices that will honor my God.  My body is a temple of His Holy Spirit, it should be treated as such.  This is a spiritual battle for me at the very core.  If I am replacing feelings of inadequacy with empty calories instead of God's Holy promises, than I am being self-sufficient.... and that's a problem.  


I've started asking God why I turn to food when things get stressful.  Why do I go to the freezer when I'm lonely, why do I look forward to family get-together's more for the overloaded plate of food, instead of visiting and fellowshipping?  It's a problem.  I want to crave God the way I crave food and that means I have to conquer this area.  


Oh I've lost weight before, I've been down to my high school weight...I know how to do it--and I'm fully capable of doing it.  I know exactly what I should eat, when I should eat, I've read all the books, I know about nutrition.  But knowing about things doesn't make you want to do them.  Apparently sweets are more fulfilling to me then a Word from God, because I quickly turn to chocolate on a stressful day, when in reality if I would slow down and ask God for help, He would replace my stress with His peace...... I haven't conquered this area yet.  Maybe you haven't either.  So, that is why I am making these posts.  I want to share the things I learn.  


If you go to the link below you can read an excerpt from Lysa's book Made to Crave 


Excerpt from book Made to Crave



I have read the intro and first chapter.  A verse is already stuck in my brain.  "Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial."  1 Corinthians 10:23 


Can I eat whatever I want?  Absolutely.  Can I do whatever I want?  Absolutely.  Free will.  But while everything is permissible, not everything is beneficial.  


I have fasted three times in my life.  The longest fast was for 21 days, it was the Daniel Fast.  Each time I fasted...I felt so close to God.  This showed me that satan will use anything, even things we need (such as food) to distract us from God, and try to persuade us that He is not enough.  Hello, Eve?  


So before you devour that brownie because it's been a long day, and "you deserve it" remember, everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial---and you deserve so much more! 





Comments

Popular Posts