Time



It's an age old excuse.  We've all heard it.  Most of us have said it.  "I don't have time."  Humor me for a minute would you, and realize how ridiculous that statement is.  Last I checked we all have the same 24-hours in a day.  We may not manage that time very well, but we most certainly do have the time.  That is probably why (if you know me at all this is no surprise) I get so frustrated when I ask someone to help me on a project (work, church, or otherwise) and they profess they have no time.  I would honestly have much more respect for people if they would just say they don't want to do it.  

But, because time seems to be just missing in space somewhere (since I hear this excuse all the time) I thought I might offer a few suggestions that I have found.  

You see, we live a very busy lifestyle.  A lifestyle that we have had criticized by many people.  They don't think we have enough "down time."  Interestingly enough the people that criticize us, often don't have enough "up time" if you ask me.  

Being busy is not a sin.  Have you read the Bible?  Jesus was busy, Paul was busy, Peter was busy.  These men exhausted every minute of everyday.  They were busy.  Nothing of importance is ever accomplished by sitting back and saying you have no time, while other people who actually want to accomplish something are doing all the work.  Being busy and doing things that never accomplish anything...there in lies the problem.  You know busy-body's that are always in the middle of something, but never actually finish anything.  Doing things that leave you empty, and do not glorify God, (only you)...there's a problem.  

I admire my husband.  He handles our "busy" life better than I.  If I start crying when I see an auto insurance commercial I know I need a break.  And I take one, but just a brief one, and then I get back in the game.  

B.J.  is such a fine example to this family and his friends, because he uses every avenue of our lives to tell others about Christ.  If we are ever out somewhere, and I can't find him...he is witnessing.  He's inviting someone to church, he's out there living his faith.  Most of you know that he races weekly, but what you may not know is that when he is in the pits, he's out there telling others about Jesus.  He is praying with the drivers.  He is inviting them to church.  I believe with all of my heart that--that is why God blesses Him with a car to drive for FREE every year.  He's doing it for God's glory, (and having a whole lot of fun in the process)  

Our family is busy because we choose to be busy.  We are busy at church, work, and in the community, why, because there's so much to be done!  So many people that don't know Christ, so many people that need help.  

"If anyone has this worlds goods and sees his brother in need but shuts off his compassion from him--how can God's love reside in him?"  1 John 3:17

I count it a privilege to serve because I know that there are so many who want to help, but can't because of physical ailments.  

Peter Drucker (some time management dude) offers some help.  He says first do not start with the task.  Start with your time.  Determine where your time is going.  Then, attempt to manage that time and cut back unproductive demands on your time.  

After listing the activities that you devote your time to (be honest), ask three questions to help you eliminate things:  

What would happen is this were not done at all?  (if the answer is "nothing" cross it off your list) 
Which of these things on my list could be done just as well, or better, by someone else? 
What do I do that wastes my time without contributing to my effectiveness? 

Sometimes we have to evaluate our time, and ask God to help us be better managers of it.  Set a timer if you have to!  But, most importantly pray.  Ask God to help you to be a good steward of the time you are given on earth.  And then, get out there because the harvest is plenty, but the workers are few.  


Comments

Popular Posts