Different



I have found more and more in my witnessing experiences that Christians no longer seem different to the world.  We've somehow crossed over and blended in with the world over the years.  That's a sad thought.  Sad to think that someone might be surprised if they found out that I was a Christian.  Shouldn't they know?  Of course--my actions should prove that much.

I once had a young girl tell me she didn't need the church, or Christ, because the world was doing a fine job taking care of her and the world didn't ask for anything in return.  Ouch.  I wondered how her heart had become so hard toward the church, what happened?  Which one of us represented Jesus wrong? Or was it her painful past that caused her to question the love of God?  Either way, she wouldn't budge, and politely asked me to leave.
*************************

Look around.  The "world" is doing a good job of taking care of people.  There's organizations all across this great nation reaching out and taking care of real needs.  People are being fed, clothed, and lives are being changed by lost people giving their money.  Some of the most generous people I know have no eternal riches and no relationship with Christ.  In contrast some of the stingiest people I know sit in a pew every Sunday.  There's something very wrong with this picture. 

We are called to be Holy.  1 Peter 1:16.  Holy, set apart, made for a purpose, DIFFERENT. Oddly different, weirdly different, noticeably different. I think that means with our money and possessions as well. 
When was the last time you gave so much it changed your life? 
When was the last time you gave up something so someone else could have something they needed or wanted?  
We give, but we always have more.  What happened to sacrificial giving?  Giving not out of your abundance, but out of your faith.  Trusting and knowing with certainty that "your God shall supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:19) 
That's the kind of giving I want my heart to adopt.  (God is teaching me this more and more each day)  Wouldn't it be wonderful to let go of the anxiety of wondering how your needs are going to be met?  Focusing on Christ and His agenda (instead of our own) can accomplish that.  
1 John 3:17 says "If anyone has this world's goods and sees his brother in need but closes his eyes to his need--how can God's love reside in him?"  
It's difficult to reach this world.  The world used to flock to Jesus, hoping to just get a glimpse of Him, or a touch of His garment.  They traveled to hear Him speak, hanging on to every word.

  Not anymore.  We've taken His name, His Holy name and made it so common that people don't even recognize a difference in us anymore.  We've watered down His blood, and not even TRIED to be Holy. 
Some questions I have had to ask myself: 

Have I become tolerant of materialism in my life?  
Have I written it off as normal, instead of a form of idolatry?  
Do my possessions reflect my love for the Lord?  
Do I own my possessions, or do my possessions own me?  
What if we gave for His glory?  
Money is a big deal obviously.  We have to have it to survive.  But what if we started using it as a tool for reaching people?  Giving it away in sacrificial ways without getting any of the credit.   
Sometimes it seems like when we can't fix everything, we choose to do nothing.  I bet satan loves that.  He doesn't even have to try and stop us, we talk ourselves right out of it.  Believing the lie that we can't make a difference in this world.  HE IS A LIAR.  Nothing he says has any truth in it.  

We may never know the blessing we can be to people while we are here.  And I don't think we need to know.(we don't need anymore pride in our lives) 

Who has God placed in your path to encourage and what are you going to do about it? 

*************************

The above is something I wrote to myself while I was going through the book Radical by David Platt. (if you have not read that book you must!)  That book really challenged my way of thinking.  Coincidentally while I was reading that book our Pastor was talking quite a bit about money in his sermons as well.  The question "When was the last time you gave so much it changed your life?" came from him.  God has challenged me in this area.  Maybe He is challenging you as well.  Challenging you to trust Him, to put your faith in Him-to let go of the cares of this world.  He's got a pretty amazing record of keeping His promises....just sayin'.

Comments

Popular Posts