I am a Christian


I am a Christian.  

What does that mean?  Well, it doesn't mean I never sin, fall, or mess up.  It doesn't mean I spend my entire day judging those that are not, am out of touch with the real world, or never have fun.  I am a Christian--without Christ in me I am nothing.  

I'm not a Christian because I'm a good person, because I listen to Christian music, because I go to church, because I serve in church, because I give money to the church, because I've kept from doing horrible things.  I am a Christian because of Christ.  

It's all about Him, it has nothing to do with me.  In fact, I didn't even choose Him, He chose me.  He spoke to my heart, woke me up, made me realize my need for Him, and by the sweet grace of God I heard His voice!  It's ALL about Him.

He is powerful, Almighty, Omnipotent, all-sufficient, patient, loving, forgiving, merciful, He is a Father to the Fatherless, He is compassionate, all-knowing, the author of all things, the great physician, master, Savior, Lord, He...... IS......LOVE.  And those are just a few of His names! 

If your perception of Christianity has in anyway been skewed by a believer's behavior, I implore you to look upon the Savior.  The church is just a bunch of sinner's saved by grace trying to learn our way to become better disciples--it doesn't happen overnight.  

My mother's favorite hymn was Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus.  Take a fresh look at the lyrics:

O soul, are you weary and troubled?
No light in the darkness you see?
There’s a light for a look at the Savior,
And life more abundant and free!


Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
In the light of His glory and grace.

Through death into life everlasting
He passed, and we follow Him there;
Over us sin no more hath dominion—
For more than conquerors we are!


His Word shall not fail you—He promised;
Believe Him, and all will be well:
Then go to a world that is dying,
His perfect salvation to tell!





It's all about Him.  


I am a Christian.  I have struggles.  I sin.  I fall.  But when I do, I know where to go.  I look to Jesus.  He uses my mistakes for His glory, and my spiritual growth.  


Because I'm a Christian, I go to church.  Not because I have to, because I want to.  I go there to worship my King.  To sing praises unto Him, and lift my hands in sweet surrender.  I go to worship with His people, in song, Word, and prayer.  I go to enjoy God, because that's what He created me for.  


I am a Christian, not because I checked a box on a card at church that said "I want to be a Christian,"not because I've been baptized, not because I teach Sunday School, I am a Christian because of Christ.  Because of His blood, His sacrifice, His gift of salvation.  God made a way through His Son to bring us back into fellowship with Him.  Salvation is a gift, it cannot be earned, only received.  Received by faith in Him. 


It's not easy.  He never said it would be.  But, we don't have to do it alone.  Everything this world promises is empty, and fades.  But the love of God is everlasting, and His mercies are new each and every morning.  


Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus.  


It's all about Him.  












Comments

Popular Posts